It’s been eight years since Leslie Knope coined the term “Galentine’s Day” and today it has become a widely recognized fictional holiday.
If you haven’t watched Parks and Recreation, let us give you a brief explanation: We all know February 14 is a holiday for lovers. Thanks to Ms. Knope, played by comedian Amy Poehler, February 13 is a holiday for celebrating the friendships between women.
Leslie explained it best: “What’s Galentine’s Day? Why it’s only the best day of the year! Every February 13, my lady-friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.”
So what’s the best way to celebrate Galentine’s Day? Here’s our thoughts on how to celebrate your amazing friendships
- Brunch! What would hanging with your gal pals be without brunch?! Mimosas, waffles, and good convo. It’s the perfect way to start your day. Make reservations at your favorite brunch spot or try somewhere new, get your squad together, and have a blast.
- Spend The Day Together. After you’ve had a delicious brunch, spend the day doing something you guys love: hit a spa for mani/pedis, shopping, hiking, or even just binge-watching your fav series on Netflix. Whatever it is, hang out. Be together.
- Give Them Something Shareable. You love spending time with your friends, so give them a gift that the two of you can enjoy together like the Ethel M Best Friend Box or Galentine’s XOXO Box of chocolates. Talking over gourmet chocolates is as timeless as brunchin’ with your besties.
- Donate feminine products to your local women’s shelter. Empowering each other is great, and that means empowering all women. Feminine products are often overlooked donation items to shelters, so find some coupons, and load up a shopping cart with items to help women in need. You’ll feel glad that you did!
- Go dancing and have some fun! Not only is dancing excellent cardio, but it is also a great group activity and the best way to end a day with your friends. Get ready and head out to a club and dance until you can’t dance anymore.
However you spend Galentine’s Day, make sure it’s all about empowering your gal pals and having a good time with the ladies in your life who make every day amazing.